Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Personal New Year Resolutions

I didn't even think of New Year Resolutions until a vendor mentioned his to me yesterday. Then I came up with a flood, especially after Wes began writing his.

I listed a lot of my resolutions in my first 2008 post:

  1. Help establish at least one new family shelter in Seattle.
  2. Continue my garden/compost/worm projects. (Wes says it's good to include at least one resolution that you are certain you will keep.)
  3. Keep a more thorough garden journal, and post to my garden blog at least once a week.
  4. Help start at least one new (organic) urban garden in Seattle.
  5. Find a way to continue fresh greens at the Union community meals this winter.
  6. Help homeless shelters, homeless day programs, and other low-income apartment buildings find ways to grow fresh greens.
  7. Add at least one native, heirloom plant to my garden this year, and save the seeds.
  8. Post at least one "environmental justice" entry each week, making the connection between human issues and environmental issues.
  9. Post at least one "public health" entry each week, promoting public health programs and health education.
  10. Keep myself informed about health services available to homeless and low-income people and be alert for people who need that information.
  11. Record the origins of all of my purchases and increase the percentage of those purchases from local sources, and from suppliers who operate fairly and ethically.
  12. Make at least one post a week promoting a company that operates fairly and ethically.
  13. Make at least one post every week that promotes critical thinking and public education.
  14. Talk or write to each family member at least once a week. (Already today I have received calls from my sister and one of my brothers.)
  15. Do more conscious mentoring of new people in the WHEEL, SHARE and Real Change homeless communities.
  16. Stay in closer communication with my friends. Take more time for "hanging out."
  17. Do more writing workshops.
  18. Do more public speaking.
That makes eighteen. :) Now for more personal resolutions:
  1. Continue rebuilding good self-care habits that went out during my depression earlier this year.
    • Get more physical exercise.
    • Drink more water, less sodapop.
    • Eat more vegetables.
    • Eat more whole grains, less refined sugar.
    • Keep up with my magnesium and other supplements I know help me stay stable and healthy.
  2. Write a poem a day (even if it's lousy).
  3. Submit at least one thing for publication, somewhere, each week.
  4. Publish at least one chapbook of my own.
  5. Put together a (bound) book by the end of the year.
  6. Blog regularly. Rant more.
That makes two dozen even. I think I'll stop there. :D

0 comments: